Leading-edge, kid-focused care.
General surgeons specialize in procedures involving the chest, belly, arms, and legs — areas other than the brain, heart, and bones. They treat everything from infections and digestive problems to congenital disabilities, cancer, and traumatic injuries. You can count on a child-focused team that puts your child’s health, safety, and well-being first.
Trusted care from skilled, compassionate experts.
Whether your child needs a minor procedure or major surgery, we understand it is a big deal to you and your child. That’s why we do everything we can to put your entire family at ease. Our dedicated, compassionate team explains everything in easy to understand words. You and your child know what to expect before, during, and after the procedure. We want the experience to be as worry-free as possible.
You can be confident you have an experienced team on your side. Our surgical team uses the latest, safest approaches to care for your child. And we use the least invasive procedures to help your child feel better as quickly as possible.
Comprehensive Pediatric General Surgical Care
Our skilled general surgeons treat a full range of conditions that affect the:
- Chest area, including problems in the lungs, throat and chest wall
- Digestive system and abdomen, including the stomach, liver, gallbladder and spleen
- Endocrine system, including the thyroid gland
- Head and neck, such as cysts (growths) or abscesses (painful lumps)
- Skin, including nevi (moles), cysts and vascular malformations (birthmark)
- Urinary tract and reproductive system
- Breast, including infections and cysts and other masses
We specialize in:
- Minimally invasive surgery. Whenever possible, we use this approach that uses a few small cuts rather than a large incision. It can offer less pain and scarring, a shorter hospital stay, and a faster recovery.
- Neonatal surgery. Our surgeons use the latest methods to treat congenital (present at birth) conditions that affect a newborn’s throat, chest, or abdomen, including complex surgery for lung and digestive problems.
- Cancer surgery. Surgeons work together with children’s cancer specialists to diagnose and treat cancer. You get the combined expertise of leading pediatric surgeons and cancer experts.
- Chest surgery. Often, our surgeons can use minimally invasive procedures to repair chest wall abnormalities, such as pectus excavatum (sunken chest).
- Trauma surgery. As a Level I Trauma Center, our surgeons have advanced training and skills to treat critically injured infants and children. And St. Chris is home to the area’s only dedicated pediatric burn facility.
- Vascular access for infusion therapy. Some treatments — such as dialysis or chemotherapy — deliver medicine directly into a vein more than once. Rather than creating an opening in a vein each time, surgeons create an opening in your child’s chest or wrist that can be reused.
Why Choose Us for Your Child’s Pediatric General Surgery
Our pediatric surgical care team provide personal attention and leading-edge treatment to kids of all ages. Families appreciate our:
- Experienced surgeons. Our specialists have advanced training in both general and pediatric surgery. Children benefit from our surgical skill and experience.
- Personal attention. We know you have questions, and we take the time to explain everything to ease your child’s and family’s concerns. We make sure you feel confident in the treatment plan and are well-informed every step of the way.
- Responsiveness. When your child needs care, we make it easy and convenient to make an appointment. You do not have to wait to see a doctor.
- Team approach. Our surgeons work closely with experienced nurses and other doctors and children’s health specialists to ensure we deliver comprehensive care. These can include child life specialists who prepare your child emotionally to rehabilitation therapists who help them recover after surgery.
- Trauma and burn expertise. Our surgeons have experience caring for severe injuries that need immediate care — that means we can perform even the most complex procedures. It is comforting to know your child has an expert care team.