Reading Hospital offers a six-week internship in our Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Obstetrics/Gynecology, and Psychiatry departments. Interns will spend half of their time in research and half as clinical observers. If you have a preference, please specify it in your personal statement.
Internship Dates: TBD
The program is restricted to pre-med students completing their junior/senior year of college and medical students completing their first year of training.
What does the six-week program include?
- Development of a mentoring relationship with a teaching faculty member
- Exposure to clinical environments in the areas of Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, and Obstetrics/Gynecology
- Introduction to important concepts involving the doctor/patient relationship
- Introduction to the basic aspects of clinical epidemiology
- Opportunity to explore physiology and pathophysiology in one area of medicine
- Participation in a research project which may eventually lead to manuscript preparation
Daily activities will include observation of clinical care, a research project, didactic programs, and assigned readings. At the end of the six-week program, the student will be expected to create a PowerPoint presentation outlining their research project and also an abstract.
The student will receive a stipend of $2,000 at the end of the internship and free parking will be provided. We do not provide housing; therefore, we recommend only those who live within commuting distance apply.
How to Apply
Please submit your documents in one single PDF packet format and it should be in the following order:
- Complete Summer Internship Application
- Personal Statement – Aptitude in medicine and a description of benefits expected to be gained from the program. Please include your name and limit statement to one page.
- Transcripts – Official or unofficial college transcript(s)
Candidates are required to submit a completed background check form a week after they receive it from our office.
Forward completed PDF packet to our office via email at AcademicAffairs@towerhealth.org.
Application deadline TBD.